International Fellows Program
Search USAWC
The International Fellows Program at the US Army War College

Travel to the Continental United States:



The security assistance representative from the U.S. Embassy will brief you on your mode of travel to the United States. The IMET Fellows will normally be provided U.S. Government transportation over the most direct air or surface routes. If your family members are traveling separately, please be sure you make arrangements for them to arrive at the Harrisburg International Airport (HIA).



Regulations require that you declare at ports of entry all items imported into the United States. Baggage is subject to inspection by the customs officials.



At the port of entry, you will be furnished Form I-94, "Arrival-Departure Record." This form should be marked "D/S" (duration of stay) and attached to your passport. This form must be kept with your passport during your stay in the United States. On departure, the form must be returned to an immigration official at the port of departure. Harrisburg International Airport (Airport Code: MDT) is the primary arrival and departure point. Transportation to and from Harrisburg will be arranged by the International Fellows Program. All other arrival and departure points will require the International Fellow to arrange his or her own transportation.



Because of the limited number of temporary accommodations in the Carlisle Barracks area, it is very important to inform the International Fellows Program what type temporary accommodations you will have arranged for your arrival at the College and the exact date you will arrive. You can call Carlisle Barracks Lodging at 717-245-4245 to begin this process.



The reporting date to Carlisle Barracks is not later than 21 June. Reception and in-processing will be conducted on 24 June beginning at 0730 and ending at 1630 at the U.S. Army War College, Root Hall. To enable us to arrange transportation for you upon arrival, email the International Fellows Program at or call at 717-245-4830 at least 48 hours before arrival. The notification should include rank, name, country, and number of dependents in group and place, time, and date of arrival, mode of travel, and airline/flight number.





Fellows who desire to bring alcoholic beverages with them to the United States may do so provided the alcoholic beverages are enclosed with their household goods (or baggage) shipped directly to Carlisle Barracks (see paragraph 6, above). Pennsylvania state law requires that a service charge be paid for alcoholic beverages imported into Pennsylvania. Upon payment of the appropriate charges, Fellows will be given release forms which must be presented to the Customs Official who inspects your baggage at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Necessary forms and instructions for filling them out will be provided to you upon arrival at Carlisle Barracks.



Normally you will be met upon your arrival by your sponsor or a representative of the College. If not, you should call or report to the International Fellows Program, Root Hall (telephone [717] 245-4830), if you arrive Monday-Friday from 0730 to 1630. All other times you should call the Carlisle Barracks After Hours number of (717) 245-4115.

Directions to Carlisle Barracks:

a. From Harrisburg International Airport or via PA Turnpike (I-76)

- Upon exiting the airport follow the signs to PA-283 West and then the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76) West.

- Exit the Turnpike at the Carlisle exit, Exit 226 (old exit number 16).

- Once through the toll booth, follow the signs to Carlisle Barracks (take Route 11 South).

b. From North or South on I-81

- Exit I-81 at Exit 52 (Middlesex/Carlisle). Follow Hwy 11 South.

- Continue on to Carlisle Barracks (see map).

c. From Washington, DC area

- From I-495 Beltway west, take I-270 North toward Frederick, MD

- Continue north on Hwy 15 at Frederick

- Exit onto Hwy 74 (North - left) at Dillsburg, PA

- Upon reaching Carlisle intersection with Hwy 641/Trindle Road/East High Street (Hess Gas on right), turn left and proceed one block to N. Spring Garden St.; turn right and proceed two blocks to East North Street; turn right and proceed .5 miles to the entrance to Carlisle Barracks.



a. Administrative inprocessing for International Fellows will be conducted during duty hours after your arrival. Your military uniform is not required; casual dress is acceptable. The following items will be required at the administrative processing session:

(1) Copy of Invitational Travel Orders (ITO) complete with ammendments.
(2) Immunization Records (in English) for all children.
(3) Passports for officer and his or her family members.
(4) A copy of dependent medical insurance in English.
(5) If your family will not join you at Carlisle Barracks, you should bring a family portrait to be included in the class yearbook. Also, if your spouse is not with you, you should bring a separate head and shoulders picture.

b. To assist in the preparation of the travel pay voucher, it is suggested that each Fellow record his or her travel itinerary data. The required data are: date, time, locations, mode of travel, and whether U.S. Government quarters and/or mess were utilized during any stopover.



a. It is strongly recommended that you obtain an international driver’s permit before traveling to the U.S. In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania the International Driver’s Permit is recognized as an authorized driving permit. The International Driver’s Permit will normally expire one year from the date of issue. If you are scheduled to attend the English language training in Texas, your International Driver’s Permit will expire before your time in Pennsylvania is complete.

b. Bring your country issued driving license with you. If your country is a signatory of the Geneva Convention, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize the license for one year as long as it has not expired.

c. A Pennsylvania Driver’s License can be issued for the duration of the stay at the U.S. Army War College. It can be a very helpful form of accepted identification while in the U.S. If you desire a Pennsylvania Driver’s License, you must apply and have at least six (6) months left in your assignment. Applications for you and your family members under the six month time frame will not be processed by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.

d. The following documents must accompany the completed application form and presented to the Driver’s License Center examiner:

1. Valid Passport

2. U.S. Customs Border Patrol Form I-94 validated for “Duration of Stay”

3. Valid A-2 Visa

4. Invitational Travel Order

5. A Social Security Card or a Rejection Letter from the Social Security Administration

6. Two (2) proofs of residency (example: lease agreement and/or utility bill)

7. Letter from International Fellows Program Office



a. Each driver and front seat passenger operating a passenger car, Class I and II truck or motor home, in the State of Pennsylvania, must wear a properly fastened and adjusted seat belt.

b. Children under 4 years of age must be properly and securely fastened in a child safety seat appropriate for their height and weight in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer. And infants in rear facing child safety seats should NEVER ride in the front seat of a vehicle with a passenger side air bag.

Children 4 years of age but younger than 8 years of age must be securely fastened in a safety seat belt system and an appropriately fitting child booster seat in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer. Children 8 through 17 must be in a seat belt regardless of where they sit in a vehicle.


These pages, links and information are provided to assist you in your integration and attendance at the USAWC. If you need information or would like to make a comment, please contact the International Fellows Office or via commercial telephone (717) 245-4830.

Security & Privacy Policy Contact Us